Dog Food Toppings
By Hungry Bark | August 15, 2020
A few sesame seeds here, a sprinkle of salt there. For us humans, throwing a little something extra like a sauce or seasoning to our food adds dimension and flavor and makes our meals a little more exciting.
Normally you wouldn’t think of adding anything extra to your dog’s food, after all, it should be nutritionally balanced, and dogs don’t have as many taste buds as we do. But don’t scoff at the idea just yet. Dog food toppings have become a popular addition to many dogs’ mealtimes. So just what makes dog food toppings so popular, and should you be adding them to your dog’s food?
What are dog food toppings?
Dog food toppings are additives or mix-ins that you can put on your dog’s food. Many of them are added for the nutritional benefits and occasionally, to encourage a picky eater. For example, oil has been promoted as a topping for dog food for years because of the positive effects it can have on your dog’s skin and coat.
Dog food toppings liven up their regular meal and make it more flavorful and appealing. Dogs do not enjoy salty tastes, but they do enjoy sweet, and they find fresh flavors more appealing. Overall, even with fewer taste buds, dogs have been shown to enjoy a variety of flavors and textures in their food.
When To Add Dog Food Toppings
Dog food toppings can add extra nutrients and taste to your dog’s food, but when should you use them? Dog food toppings can be added as an occasional treat or to make their dinner time more interesting, but they are extremely beneficial in certain cases and here are some ideas on when to add them:
- Your dog needs to gain weight. Toppings can add extra calories to food and tempt a dog who has been sick to eat more.
- Your dog needs to lose weight. Cutting back on the kibble and adding more of a topping like green beans can cut calories without leaving your dog hungry.
- Your dog has itchy skin. Adding a little bit of fish oil to your dog’s food will help promote healthy skin and coat.
- They have stomach problems. Sprinkling your dog’s food with probiotic powder can help get your dog’s gastrointestinal tract functioning better.
- For active dogs, to add a nutrient boost and help maintain their activity level.
If your dog is sick and has a decreased appetite, adding toppings can make food more appealing and add calories to help them maintain a healthy weight.
What Are Safe Toppings For Dogs
If you are going to add toppings to liven up your dog’s meals, you want to add toppings that are not dangerous to your dog. Fortunately, there’s a wide array of safe toppings that you can add to your dog’s food to add extra nutrients and kick up the flavor.
- Hungry Bark Protein Mix-Ins are single freeze-dried ingredients that add both flavor and an extra boost of nutrition.
- Brewers yeast can help gastrointestinal function and is often used as a natural flea preventative.
- Blueberries are a great source of fiber and vitamin K.
- Canned pumpkin (unsweetened) is a great source of fiber and helps combat constipation and diarrhea.
- Sweet potato is high in vitamin A, K, B6, potassium, and iron and supports immune function.
- Green beans are full of fiber, iron, and calcium and make a great low calorie treat for dogs.
- Carrots are full of fiber and good for heart and digestive health.
- Hard-boiled eggs are high in calcium to help support healthy bones.
- Fish oil is good for skin and coat health and provides essential fatty acids.
- Cooked ground meat like turkey, beef, or lamb kicks the protein level up and adds flavor.
Using Hungry Bark Mix-Ins
If you want to add extra protein to your dog’s diet, but don’t want to do extra cooking, look at a mix-in like Hungry Bark’s protein mix-ins. They are made with beef, chicken, or salmon and are convenient for adding extra protein and flavor to your dog’s meals.
Hungry Bark mix-ins can be added in addition to other toppings like canned pumpkin or green beans. Plus, all Hungry Bark products are made with fresh ingredients, from ethical sources, and are veterinarian approved, so you know that you’re giving your dog the best of the best.
Whether you are adding fruit and veggies or a boost of protein and taste like Hungry Bark Protein Mix-ins, adding toppings is a great way to make sure your dog is eating a balanced diet and getting all the nutrients they need to live their happiest life.